As you navigate the road to recovery, one of the best investments you can make is finding a reputable therapist. However, this process can feel overwhelming at times with the number of options available. As a Christian, you may want someone who shares your faith. Or it may be more important to find someone who falls within a specific budget. Whatever you are looking for, knowing how to find a therapist that meets your needs is imperative for lasting sobriety.
Finding the Right Therapist for You
Every person in recovery has different needs and priorities when looking for counseling. Here are the steps you should follow as you seek mental health care:
1. List Your Priorities
3. Utilize Reputable Therapist Directories
4. Find Addiction Recovery Specialists
- LPC or LMFT: These are masters-level therapists who have completed the training and practice hours to achieve licensure.
- PsyD or Ph.D.: These therapists have doctoral degrees in psychology and are often referred to as licensed psychologists.
- LCSW: Licensed Clinical Social Workers are practicing therapists who also have social work training. They complete clinical hours in counseling to receive this title.
- CAS: These are clinical addiction specialists, meaning they specialize in addiction treatment.
There are a number of other licenses and credentials that providers list in their biographies, and all of them have different benefits. Try not to get caught up in the number of letters after a person’s name. Instead, look for key indicators of licensure and specializations, like addiction treatment.
5. Determine Other Needs
If this all still feels overwhelming, try not to stress. You may try one provider and find they’re not a good fit. You can always find someone else. Or you might realize you need more intensive treatment than you can get in an outpatient office. If that’s the case, it may be time to consider residential treatment.
Finding Specialized Addiction Treatment
Deciding to pursue intensive treatment is never easy. However, finding a center that supports your recovery and encourages your faith can ease some of your stress. At Celebrate Hope, we are dedicated to helping you pursue recovery on the foundation of faith in Jesus. We encourage deep connections amongst residents through our groups and participation in Celebrate Recovery programs. We also offer individual therapy where you can work through your past experiences and develop healthy coping skills. If you are looking for a reputable, Christian addiction treatment center, contact our admissions team today.